We would be grateful if you could share this job posting.
Position Title: Research Data Management Specialist
Department: Princeton University Library Research Data and Open Scholarship
Requisition No: 2022-15230
Public Application Link: Research Data Management Specialist
URL (if above link does not work): https://social.icims.com/viewjob/po165876428354430d85#.Yt67-GzmW0w.mailto
Princeton University seeks an innovative and collaborative individual to provide consultative data management and open data expertise to the Princeton research community, including partnering with researchers in preparing and uploading digital research data and in engaging in data management, retention, and curation practices. The research data specialist also contributes to the development and implementation of a data management training program to support researchers throughout the University and across the research lifecycle. Reporting to the Director of Research Data and Open Scholarship, this position is part of a research data service oriented toward Open Research goals, working to ensure consistent and effective practices related to the creation, organization, stewardship, curation, storage, and access to digital research data.
This position also provides critical support for active research data management by working as part of a team to help TigerData users, identify pain points in the metadata and data management process, work collaboratively to implement technical and process-oriented solutions, and recommend changes to the TigerData onboarding and/or metadata collection process. The Research Data Management Specialist works with other members of the newly formed TigerData team to maintain and grow research data management expertise for TigerData users and the University Research Community more broadly.
Research Data Management and Service Development
- Work collaboratively to develop new research data management tools and services within University infrastructure and to support and sustain their effective use.
- Provide researchers with expert advice on a range of topics that support best practices throughout the research lifecycle.
- Work with researchers on data management tasks, including evaluation of data planning needs, assessing options for sharing data, and planning to specific granting agency or publisher requirements.
- Proactively collaborate and coordinate to implement data management and sharing strategies, including coordinating data deposits with researchers, curating research data, and preparing collections for archiving.
Promote Best Practices for Research Data across the Lifecycle
- Engage in strategic planning and development of outreach and workshops.
- Develop and deliver data management training programs, including in-person and online training materials and resources.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the university libraries and research administration to effectively communicate services to faculty, researchers, and departments.
- Manage short and long-term communications and relationships with researchers, PIs, and students, including outreach and training in data management best practices.
Community Tracking and Engagement
- Track specific scientific and subject domain areas building knowledge and expertise in data types, formats, and needs within domains that support data management and sharing throughout the research lifecycle.
- Identify new and evolving data standards, metadata standards, and best practices for data management.
- Maintain knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, intellectual property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
- Engage with peer institutions and communities to develop and promote data standards, best practices, and tools.
- A minimum of 3 years combined of library, information technology, informatics, and/or research experience.
- Experience with developing and conducting training, teaching, and/or workshop presentations.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, willing to take on new challenges and solve problems with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills, interpersonal and collaboration skills, and a collegial, team-oriented approach.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong technical skills with a high degree of comfort and willingness in learning new technologies and developing skills in others.
- Experience with and knowledge methods and best practices for research data management and/or data and code curation and archiving.
- Experience working with large and/or complex data sets and/or high performance computing.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
###END OF POSTING###
Darlene A. Dreyer, MA, PACE
Assistant to the Associate University Librarian for Special Collections
Assistant to the Director, Research Data and Open Scholarship
Princeton University Library
One Washington Road
Princeton, NJ 08544-2098
My working hours may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside of your normal work schedule.