The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries (Los Angeles, CA) invites creative, collaborative, and outstanding candidates to fill this full-time continuing appointment-track faculty position with an anticipated start date of summer 2023. We are looking for candidates with experience and demonstrated knowledge in acquiring, managing, and discovering electronic resources. In addition, we welcome candidates with management or supervision experience in an academic or research library and experience with continuations, metadata, collection management and assessment.
We value qualified candidates who can bring to our community a diversity of backgrounds and experiences who are motivated by a passion to develop transformative library services and an investment in the future of librarianship and archives, and who are creative in identifying and solving problems within a collegial and collaborative environment. The successful candidate must be knowledgeable of current relevant library and scholarly information trends and practices and be able to apply this understanding to make a significant, positive impact on the USC community. Duties may include weekend and evening hours.
USC Libraries faculty and staff work to advance consequential engagement with our academic and arts communities. We are committed to USC’s unifying values of accountability, integrity, excellence, open communication, well-being, and diversity, equity and inclusion as we support the university’s students, faculty and staff. USC Libraries take pride in our Digital Library, the Sidney Harman Academy for Polymathic Study with its Ahmanson Lab, our data and visualization services, and the library’s strong primary source collections including the history of Los Angeles and Southern California; LGBTQ history and culture, particularly relating to West Coast activities and activism; Cinematic Arts; and the Holocaust and genocide and exile studies. For more information on how our libraries support critical, creative, and ethical habits of mind at USC, visit https://libraries.usc.edu/facts-and-figures and https://libraries.usc.edu.
Visit USC’s website for information about our students, academic programs, campuses and research.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Technical Services & Collection Development, the Head, E-Resources & Continuations will:
- Oversee the day-to-day administrative and operational functions of the Electronic Resources, Serials/Continuations, and Database Management & Preparations units within Technical Services and supervise a library manager, assistant library managers, and staff
- Play a lead role in the Technical Services Ticketing System ensuring proper resolution of outstanding and pending tickets
- Propose, implement, and monitor contractual vendor services, license agreements and renewals to ensure expedited processing and rapid delivery of information resources
- Oversee bibliographic discovery for electronic resources and continuations
- Ensure the teams utilize optimized workflows, establish procedures, create documentation and implement cross-training within the section and promote continuous learning
- Assist the Associate Dean in managing the collections budget, fund codes and fund reporting
- Collect, maintain, and analyze statistics and usage data as needed
- Provide training and review work of the unit as needed
- Supervise full-time staff and lead recruitment, screening, hiring, and training efforts as needed
- Serve as a member and contribute to the leadership of the Technical Services-ILS Working Group and participate in library and other committees as assigned
- Stay up to date on relevant library and scholarly information trends and practices and applies this knowledge to have a significant, positive impact on the Technical Services & Collection Development department
- Engage in professional and/or subject discipline organizations, research, or publishing that will have a significant, positive impact on and advance the strategic plans of USC Libraries and the University
- Provide evening and weekend service as assigned
- Participate in a hybrid work environment
Experience and Qualifications
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. In addition, candidates must provide evidence of:
- Three years professional experience in acquiring, managing, and discovering electronic resources
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team within a culturally diverse user community of faculty, students, and staff
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the areas outlined below is required:
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of acquiring, managing, and discovering continuations
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of metadata
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of collection management and assessment
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of management or supervision experience in an academic or research library
- Five years professional experience and demonstrated experience in managing electronic resources
- Experience working with electronic collections and acquisitions in Ex Libris Alma, using Harrassowitz Fokus, GOBI, and LibAnswers
- Experience in making renewal decisions based on cost usage analysis
- Knowledge of license agreements
Faculty Appointment Rank and Salary
Rank: Assistant University Librarian
Librarians at USC have faculty status. This is a full-time, continuing appointment track position. Appointment to the continuing appointment track requires the potential to meet the University’s criteria for granting continuing appointment—excellence in librarianship—which librarians achieve by having a significant impact on the development and/or implementation of high-quality collections and/or services. Additionally, librarians must demonstrate the expectation of continued excellence and growth in profession expertise.
This is a 12-month full-time position. The annual base salary range is listed below and in accordance to rank.
The annual base salary range for this position is $72,000 – $90,000. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations. Administrative appointments receive a stipend
When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
For more on criteria and qualifications for the appointment, promotion and continuing appointment of librarians at USC, visit: https://libraries.usc.edu/sites/default/files/2021-09/USC_Libraries_Criteria_Document_Approved_1-31-20.pdf
Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents). For more information about benefits see: https://employees.usc.edu/benefits-perks/
As part of the application, candidates must upload the following documents into a single PDF file: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee, and 4) a statement on fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion (no longer than one page in length).
Closing date for applications: April 7, 2023, or until filled.
Please Apply Here: https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/head-e-resources-and-continuations-assistant-university-librarian-384/1209/45584371664
For more information about this position, contact Marje Schuetze-Coburn, Chair of the Standing Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC.